Friday, October 19, 2012

Brad's Raw Challenge: Day 5


Day 5 (Friday, October 19, 2012)

It was yet another evening in the kitchen whipping up eats I can’t eat which meant snacking on all the raw food I prepped instead! But its aye okay! It was all low fat which is what I have been focusing on. I noticed that when I transitioned over to a raw foods diet I gained a lot of weight. I’m sure stress, no sleep and working out less has a lot to do with it too, but I noticed most of my meals contain lots of fat from avocados, nuts and seeds. I even cut out the entire jar of raw nut butter. Nothing has helped so far so I’m trying to get back on track counting calories, consistently working out and getting lots of rest! Of course, I sabotaged the calorie counting in the kitchen tonight but again…at least it was low fat goodies J

Morning Routine:

I switched it up and had a raw apple cider vinegar tea with raw honey.

Breakfast:
As I stated yesterday, I got a little buy happy at the global market and bought a a couple of new fruits I had never tried before, one of them being a fruit call mamey sapote from Mexico. Before I move on, I must say that I do not normally buy imported fruits from outside the US because of the environmental footprint that importing and shipping in foods leaves. However, I think every now and then is okay. It allows me and my family to explore new foods and expand our foodie world. Okay back to breakfast…so my plate contained an entire mamey, some rambutan, which is very similar to lychee and also a huge favorite of mine, a baby banana and some mango. The mamey was pretty sweet with a texture similar to a papaya but a little creamier. There was a small hint of a tannic mouthfeel which must have meant the mamey I purchased wasn’t fully ripe. Breakfast was definitely a global adventure..and a deliciously filling one at that!

 Lunch:

Since breakfast wasn’t as full of carbs, protein and fat like usual, it went through me pretty fast and I was hungry within a few hours. I remembered I had zucchini hummus in the fridge from last night which sounded super yummy so I had some along with a whole red bell pepper and some of Brad’s Raw Beet flavored chips. Now I know what you’re thinking, zucchini hummus!? Yep and it’s delish! It’s not as thick as hummus but it holds the same flavor profile as regular bean hummus. Trust me its great and a wonderful alternative for those who may not be able to handle beans as well. Give it a try and let me know what you think :)

Zucchini Avo Hummus
Recipe adapted from Raw Food Rehab
 
  • 1/3 cup of sunflower seeds (again, Go Raw has awesome flavor!)
  • 1.5 cups of zucchini, chopped
  • 2 tablespoons of raw, tahini (I made some fresh tahini using raw sesame seeds and a high speed blender)
  • ¼ of a large avocado
  • 1-2 tablespoons of lemon juice
  • 1 garlic clove, pressed or grated
  • Salt
  • ½ jalapeno (optional)

  1. In a high speed blender, blend the sunflower seeds into a powder. Add the remaining ingredients and blend until smooth. Season to taste.
  2. Enjoy with crudités, raw chips or on top of salad!
Dinner:

As for dinner, I ended up eating my way through bell peppers and tons of apples. I was making chili and vegan apple pie for my family so I ended up nibbling on the leftovers. I didn’t want to waste all the fiber filled apples skins!

In between I also enjoyed a warm green tea and some Kombucha.

Another busy day, yet productive day. Can you tell I love being in the kitchen?

No comments:

Post a Comment