Friday, July 26, 2013

B7DRC: Day 5 - The July Edition


I can’t believe it’s already Day 5 of Brad’s 7 Day Raw Challenge. The week goes by so fast! I am thrilled it’s FRIDAY though. It means I have a weekend to spend an hour or two actually focusing on making something interesting. I definitely plan on pulling out the dehydrator and with 10 trays I may be making quite a few things!

So who’s ready for leftover FRIDAY?

Early Morning:

I ran out of lemons!! Looks like I’ll be sippin’ plain water for today.

Breakfast:

Looks like the kombucha cravings are coming back as I wanted one last night but only had one to decide from. I used to drink them daily but stopped because a) it was getting pricey and b) my desire to drink them was slowly disappearing. Well, now it’s back and while I have plans on making my own in the future as soon as I purchase a new SCOBY, looks like a few store-bought ones a week is what I will just have to deal with.

The only 'bucha I had left in the fridge is one I truly adore: the  Multi-Green Chia by GT’s. I love the earthy, green taste and even more the chia seeds which provide an awesome boost of sustainable energy. They’re also quite filling making it perfect for breakfast.


Snack:

Remember when I stated we had a berry monster in the house with whom I fight with daily? Well, she, okay more like we all, somehow missed the strawberries that were lurking in the back of the fridge. I noticed them last night and thought to myself, SCORE! I had breakfast! Seeing as it’s Friday, aka the end of the week, food starts looking scarce…REALLY scarce so finding these gave me a boost of excitement.

Sweet and oh so juicy! Yumm! I love my berries ice cold. Anyone else?

Lunch:

We’re switching it up a bit today! Instead of my normal smoothie I decided salad first.
This beautiful salad is another tester for Jonie Marie Newman’s new vegan book which means, sorry, no recipe. But I wanted to share the picture in hopes it makes your mouth water and instills a bit of an itch to purchase the book when it’s released..and because I ‘m excited and love to share! 

This is actually a condiment to another non-raw, vegan dish which I hope to make sometime next week, but after seeing the recipe I knew this condiment would work well as a salad topper or even a dip. It’s super refreshing, cool, creamy and loaded with tons of flavor! It was also super easy to make, which is ideal for busy ones like me. 

Doesn’t it look tasty?

Snack:

Okay NOW it’s smoothie time! Today’s smoothie was super simple yet still berrylicious. 

Blackberry and Cream
Recipe by Simple Green Smoothies
Makes 16 ounces

  • 1 cup spinach
  • 1 cup blackberries
  • 1 banana
  • 1 cup almond milk
    1. BLEND and enjoy!
Dinner:

On Friday's I like to put together what I call the Friday's Leftovers Salad. I take all the leftover veggies I have, throw them into one big salad and serve. All I have to come up with is a dressing!

The dressing I whipped up was inspired by Lisa Viger's Cucumber and Mango Noodle salad. I thought if it's great in a salad it HAS to be great whizzed together as a dressing. I was right!

This dressing is both sweet and savory, fruity and spicy. It's also perfectly creamy; a great compliment for all the fresh, crisp veggies. If you make this dressing you HAVE to let me know what you think.

Friday's Leftover Salad with Cucumber Mango Chili Dressing
Recipe by Beth Mickens
Serves one large meal


Salad:

There is no recipe! Just throw whatever you have together! Here are the veggies I added to mine.
  • Romaine
  • Corn
  • Tomatoes
  • Carrots
  • Green Onions
  • Sprouts
Cucumber Mango Chili Dressing: 
  • 1/4 cup cucumber, peeled and chopped
  • 1/4 fresh mango, diced (pineapple, frozen, may work as well)
  • 1/2 lime, juiced
  • 1 Tbsp of sweet onion, chopped
  • 1 Tbsp of hemp seeds
  • 2-3 slices of jalapeno
  • Pinch of grated garlic (optional)
  • Pinch of Salt
  • Pinch of Pepper
  • 1/8 tsp of Chili powder
    1. Whiz all the ingredients together in a small blender til blended and smooth. 
    2. Pour over salad and serve.
And there we have Day 5! We had company over this evening so I didn't get time to make dessert. At least by the time I get to make dessert it'll be a REAL treat!
 
Have a great weekend! Doing anything fun?
 
*Beth*

No comments:

Post a Comment